SWG Beta Phase 3

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Rhiandra Rangnar
Donkey Fucker

SWG Beta Phase 3

Postby Rhiandra Rangnar » Fri May 02, 2003 5:57 pm

So, a mass invite to SWG Phase 3 Beta was kicked off today and I was wondering if anyone but me got the invite today?

I know Phish and Cele have been in beta for awhile now, anyone elkse besides them in it now?

Post here and let me know please.

Also, if you were chosen you not only get an account key for yourself but you get one to share with a friend as well. So every Beta account = 2 Clan peeps playing the game prior to release.

Please post here if you got the invite and lets work together to get those 2nd account keys given to those that would not only use them, but take the time to really learn the inner working of the game itself.

:onfire: I'm excited! :onfire:
Rhiandra Rangnar
EQ ----> DAoC ----> WoW ----> boredom
[fade]Over 1 million mezzed and counting .........[/fade]

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri May 02, 2003 6:48 pm

i forgot to apply :(
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Fri May 02, 2003 9:46 pm

A lot of the jaxers got in. Me, saphyre, mosthula, serephina, hyla, daoiid and nyrin/ronfar all have keys now.

Been in since april 11th?
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Rhiandra Rangnar
Donkey Fucker

Postby Rhiandra Rangnar » Sun May 04, 2003 2:05 am

I wish I had mine since April 11th, just got it and WoW, graphics are freaking amazing!

If the servers ever come up I'll be exploring my butt off.

Icreated a medic, Rhiandra there ..... so, look for me!
Rhiandra Rangnar

EQ ----> DAoC ----> WoW ----> boredom

[fade]Over 1 million mezzed and counting .........[/fade]

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Candide

Postby Candide » Mon May 05, 2003 8:51 am

Graphics are amazing, game seems to have a lot of depth, but right now it is simply unplayable. As a medic sitting in the hospital it might be fine, but in the evenings the lag is so bad, that at best right now it takes 5 seconds for any command to go through. During the day its supposed to be fine, so saphy says.

The first day we got to play after they did some network changes, we played 3 hours straight, no lag, no LD's, and had a lot of fun. Then they changed the network code and its sucked since then.

As you play, keep in mind there are still a LOT of things not in the game yet. don't get too frustrated, and don't do like some of my friends and get upset that you can't do X, when they list X as something not in the game yet or a known bug :P Q posted yesterday they would update the known issues and things still in development pages this week.

The game has a lot of potential, but its all about the GCW, and thats not in yet. That makes or break the game for me.

Strumdor
Ub3r Albino Board Troll

Postby Strumdor » Thu May 08, 2003 7:16 pm

I would love a beta key!!

If anyone finds it in their heart to share one please email to

rmwrip@aol.com

thank you,

Strumdor/Agored

Zeris
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Zeris » Thu May 08, 2003 9:17 pm

1. what is the gcw?
2. is this open invite still going on? ie can I just apply now and still get in?
3. gimme a link to apply for beta, bitch
markov|[shadow=red][glow=red]Terran Republic[/glow][/shadow]|zeris

Sleyn
Dickfingers

Postby Sleyn » Fri May 09, 2003 12:13 am

--
Last edited by Sleyn on Sun May 25, 2003 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zeris
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Zeris » Fri May 09, 2003 1:15 am

huh? oh. meh.

Candide

Postby Candide » Fri May 09, 2003 10:43 am

GCW is galatic civil war. You currently have 5 states..neutral (I hate people who go neutral), then overt rebel, covert rebel, overt empire, covert empire. Err, imperial, whatever. Overt basicaly means open pk, 2 overts can fight anytime, anywhere. Covert means you have picked a side, but are not openly pk. This is where the GCW battlefields come into play. They are sort of like daoc's RvR zone ala counter strike. A big battlefield where you can man turrets, check out atat's and atst's, lay mines, etc. You can only enter the battlefield once, if you die you can't again till it resets. They aren't in yet so specifics are no more than whats been announced on the public boards. Sounds kinda fun.

One other thing about overt/covert. You can build your own houses/guilds buildings etc, and place turrets around them, just anywhere. You can also place detectors, that will make a covert temporarily overt. Then you can blast away at them. Taking player made towns will be a part of this game. But there is also some protection in there supposidly.

There is also a TEF system, temporary enemy faction or something. So that if a covert heals an overt in a pvp fight, the covert temporarily becomes overt, 5 minutes or some such.

It isn't nor has it been open beta.

You can sign up at starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/beta

Don't hold your breath too much, 500,000 people signed up for beta, only around 50,000 accepted so far.

Zeris
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Zeris » Fri May 09, 2003 11:54 am

Is the aiming system for weapons entirely character's skill based, or player's FPS skill based, or some combination?
thanks for the answers too btw

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri May 09, 2003 12:29 pm

"/steps up to defend Rhiandra's honour.
How dare you talk to a lady that way, boy! Jeeves, fetch the pistols."

throwing knives hurt more as they take longer, sir. and i just happen to have quite a few stacks of them sitting right here next to me :)
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Candide

Postby Candide » Fri May 09, 2003 12:32 pm

This isn't an FPS, it is just like any other MMORPG. however, there are some things that modify it.

Rifles have best accuracy from a distance, pistols up close, and carbines (may be changed to assault rilfes as a name thing) in the middle.

There are a lot of things to adjust accuracy, going prone makes you most accurate, you can also kneel. If a target runs around, they are harder to hit, if you run around, you have a harder time hitting. If you are both moving, well big negative there :P

Hitting is determined by your weapon and your skill in that weapon. One thing that happens a lot in beta is everyone uses the "best" weapon of each type, T21 rifle for example. The thing is, you get a huge negative to hit because the weapon is so much higher skill than the players have, but everyone gets items for free more or less right now (only during beta). So you have a lot of people complaining how much they miss, but they are using weapons too high for them.

If you are looking for planetside style fighting, this isnt' the game for you. It is 100% a MMORPG. It reminds me a lot about the good that was in AO. Except it is more stable than AO was at this point.

Again, no way it is out before mid june, July perhaps. Lots of bugs still, but most of them are not game stoppers.

Zeris
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Zeris » Fri May 09, 2003 1:34 pm

and so when you're fighting against a lvl 50 stormtrooper general or whatever, does it take 80 shots to kill him? is it really retarded like that... guns plus MMORPG style hitpoints usually doesnt work. know what I mean? it "works" but its gay.

Candide

Postby Candide » Fri May 09, 2003 1:45 pm

Yup, I understand. Aparently, early on it was like a normal RPG, you hit often but for small damage, and "whittle" down your opponent. Now, you hit hard, but there are more misses. I personally don't like this, I hate missing a lot. But it is also skewed by the fact I'm using a weapon way above my skill level. I'm just not sure what weapon i SHOULD be using honestly, that is at my level.

Just last week they trippled all damage done and received. Fights go FAST then, but little time for tactics. They've made a few changes this week, I think you do 2x's as much as originally, and you receive 1.5x as you did. This feels a bit better. But it is all still being tweaked.

The main point is they are trying to get into where most fights are fast and furious. I think the hard NPC's won't be hard so much because they ahve tons of HP's, but rather because they have super force shields or whatever that makes them hard to hit. Again, I hate missing a lot but whatever.

Creatures will probaly be easier to hit but have tons of HP's, like the krayt dragons. An assumption on my part tho.

Return to “Public Discussion”