Xbox 360
50%
Playstation 3
50%

Total votes: 28

Augomatic
Pathetic Chode

Postby Augomatic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm just not sure whats going to happen to consoles.

When they first came out (Nintendo, yes, I know there were other ones like the Atari, but lets be realistic here :)), you could buy a PC for $1500-2000, and the Nintendo cost something like $150.

On top of that, the console games had better graphics, and there were generally more of them.

Fast forward 15 years, and the consoles cost $400. You can get a decent gaming PC now for $700. On top of that, I would argue that the games are better quality for PCs now, but I haven't seen the latest gen. An even bigger incentive is you can get the PC games for "free".

Personally, I think in the end, consoles are just going to merge into PCs. The only advantage imo they have going for them at the moment is ease of use. Once some PC company figures that out, and sets up a PC extension that shows video on the TV with an easy to use interface for playing games, I think there'd be no point to the console.

Supreem
Ass Jammer

Postby Supreem » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:12 pm

The problem there lies in the shitty translation from digital signal (usually high resolution) to an NTSC signal. Once everyone has HD tv's you will see alot more people with their computers hooked up to their TV IMO
Wiredmessiah - Eve Online

:blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8:

Amit
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Amit » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:32 pm

~~~~~ You can get a decent gaming PC now for $700!~~~~~~

oh come on, is anyone here honestly using a 700$ comp and calling it decent? if so you are playing a game over 2 years old i wager and not involved in any big mmo raids

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:45 pm

$700 will buy alot now-a-days...

It's probably better than alot of people are playing with anyway... :bigups:

I still can't believe how Rhia was able to even play on her old pc, but she did.

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:45 pm

you can build a sick rig for 700
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 am

XBox. I understand some of you are amateur hour but Playstation is like wading in a kiddie pool. The only thing it is good for is playing mass titles on a sub par platform and to those users I offer an application to Blockbuster Video.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:31 am

mass titles..

mass amazing titles that offer some amazing gameplay. We don't need Fluff, becuase we have games that are indepth, and not just some market plowing scheme.
DAOC-SOLD

Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)

WOW-SOLD

Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)

WAR- CLOSED BETA!

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:40 pm

Law wrote:XBox. I understand some of you are amateur hour but Playstation is like wading in a kiddie pool. The only thing it is good for is playing mass titles on a sub par platform and to those users I offer an application to Blockbuster Video.

and i thought the only thing me and law agreed upon was super's sexuality.
pink's dad and mom are conjoined at the waist.

friend to all bwc/scourn. like it or not.

Joshll
Donkey Fucker

Postby Joshll » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:15 pm

barbos wrote:Well Carmack is just lazy. The hardware industry has moved to multiple processors/cores. The gaming industry needs to move as well.

It's this simple. Whichever platform is easier to write games for will have more games. And that platform will win the next round of console wars.

Not to be skeptical about any of your qualifications about game engine design (fancy graphics or not), but someone who has written at the hardware level for a bunch of successfull games might have a little more wisdom than one might find on the BWC boards :)

(unless someone here has written something as complicated as a full game engine - engine mind you, not placing content in someone elses engine. How many of you have written the real guts? Yah, I thought so.)

Anyway, for what it is worth, this is what he had to say:

Carmack raved about the relative ease of developing for Xbox 360.

But the Xbox 360 was designed to have a very thin API layer. In Carmack's words, he can "basically talk directly to the hardware ... doing exactly what I want."

Here Carmack heaped praise on the decisions that Microsoft has made with the Xbox 360. "It's the best development environment I've seen on a console," he says. Microsoft has taken a very developer-centric approach, creating a system that's both powerful but easy to code for. This is in contrast to Nintendo, Sony, and (formerly) Sega, who generally focused on the hardware.

Regarding the strength of mulithreading in game design:
Carmack points out that there could be diminishing returns with the next generation of consoles, thanks to the architecture of the hardware. Although the PS3's Cell processor is powerful, it's still a single-thread processor (unlike high-end PC processors). There's not much more technology can do to crank more speed out of a single-threaded processor. To make up for this deficiency, multiple processors are used: multithreading and parallelism is the way to go. But this isn't easy to do in games! "The returns will initially be disappointing," he explains.

It will take a long time before game developers will figure out how to get the most out of parallel processors, and in the meantime, it's going to make high-end game development more difficult -- "Not a good thing," Carmack says. There's no easy solution to this problem, no special compiler that'll take away the grunt work. "There's no silver bullet for parallel programming."

Sony's position seems to be similar to the company's stance with the PS2: Sure, it'll be hard, but the really good developers will suck it up and figure it out. But Carmack wonders aloud: wouldn't it have been better to use multi-threaded processors to begin with?

and:
That aside, Carmack spent a few minutes talking about Artificial Intelligence as something that can be offloaded to another processor for a cutting-edge game. Carmack is skeptical. AI is a very bleeding-edge science, and it can often be processor intensive, but when applied to games AI is usually a matter of scripting. What game designers want is a way to act as the 'director,' telling enemy and friendly characters where to stand and what to do. This doesn't take a ton of processing power.

Moreover, even if you did throw tons of resources toward the AI, it might not be the best thing for gameplay. For instance, writing tons and tons of code to enable monsters to hide in the shadows and sneak around behind the player would be interesting, but often these types of things could be scripted for a fraction of the effort and - for most players - the experience would be just as cool if not cooler. Carmack recounts how players of the original DOOM would think that the monsters were doing all sorts of scheming and plotting and ambushing when, in truth, they were just using the equivalent of one page of C code and running the most basic of scripts.

There is no wrong answer, but I still think that the Evil Empire is going to come out ahead on this one.
retired

Supreem
Ass Jammer

Postby Supreem » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:41 pm

funny cause carmack always wrote games for PC what does he know about consoles? =) We do all our simulation processing in one thread and all our render processing in another thread. Its true multi-threading is new to the gaming industry, but its not hard to take advantage of its power.
Wiredmessiah - Eve Online

:blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8:

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:49 pm

Well since PC's are now multi-core/multi-proc and both PS3 and Xbox have multiple procs, I don't see how my comment has any bearing of why one is better than the other... It's just a generalization that they need to stop being lazy and work on multithreading.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:28 pm

Amit wrote:answering a few querstions

xbox 360 price at realease is 300 and there is a higher package with headsets and other stuff for 400

as for the release date, they are beating sony to release and then planning on the release of HALO 3 for the same time as ps3

Killets do both versions (299/399) come w/ a HD?
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:10 am

No

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:24 am

i need to get 1k posts.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

barbos