Gruul's Lair

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Gruul's Lair

Postby Twystyd » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Were going to start this with another small guild like ours and wondered if anyone had any useful advice or must know info I can't read about elsewhere. Thanks. I hear Gruul went from an extremely difficult encounter to a loot pinata that goes down like Beratuul at a truck stop after that last nerf.
Last edited by Twystyd on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Sectoid
Pathetic Chode

Postby Sectoid » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:22 pm

Don't bring retards!
Kandar/Hamback

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:39 pm

High King Maulgar isn't too hard...just need an alert group.

Mage must tank the other mage -- and must have 10K hps.

I guess for EZ mode -- one of your warriors can use a Titans flask -- but we stopped using them last week.
The message buck stops here.

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:34 pm

QFT Grull is pretty easy as long as people are not fucking stupid.
[glow=blue]
A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject
and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:17 pm

man, we finally killed mag. it took fucking 4 days b/c idiots could not figure out how to click the fucking boxes. jesus. pissed me off so much.

seriously, like 10 people had to learn how to click boxes.... not only was clicking boxes fucking rocket science to them, they all needed their own attempt to wipe the raid before they learned.
pink's dad and mom are conjoined at the waist.

friend to all bwc/scourn. like it or not.

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:47 am

haha hope you got your key fragment for the EYE :D

We just downed Tidewalker in SS a couple days ago. GOD the patch to nerf trash can't come any sooner!! after hydros I think it took us damn near 1.5-2hrs to clear trash to the next boss.

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:54 pm

you guys use the zerg strat or normal strat to kill hydross?

SuperHelix
A Salty Surprise

Postby SuperHelix » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:14 pm

All of you are trash.

j/k

miss you, looking forward to the next game.
Gundorf the uber

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:34 pm

zerg strat atm, but once the patch comes well be using the normal strat.

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:09 pm

normal strat is a pain.

our best was 3 transitions before things started falling apart. we'll probably need more shadow priests and less healers (we were running around 9 healers, 1 shadow priest).

we tried zerg strat twice and made as much progress doing it this way as we did like 6 wipes on the normal way. we're convinced zerg strat is the easier way now so we're gonna work on that tonight, hopefully with a kill.

doing it the normal way will be easier with the buff to resistance gear after patch i think.

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:22 am

Any tips for Magtheridon?

For some reason we just can't get past the 1st phase with the channelers before Mag comes out.

Gruul/KZ are on farm status...

We take 3 warlocks but it doesn't seem like it's enough. We have 9 healers and 1 shadow priest. Then again, 2 of our rogues aren't really geared for it.

Do we need flasks? I had to use a titans flask last night just so I'd live through an Infernal roaming around (lack of attention by warlocks).

I don't think we're at the "clicking" phase yet...I know it will drive some wipes also.
The message buck stops here.

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:34 am

we got hydross down on monday. good ol zerg strat.

magtheridon is all about the channelers. phase 2/3 is piece of cake.. you might get 1-2 wipes on it, but it should be straight forward.

most geared/experienced guilds can get 4 channelers down before mag breaks loose without breaking a sweat. with flasks most guilds on magtheridon will kill all 5 channelers easily.

my guild personally gets 4.5 channelers down without flasks before we have to click for the 1st time.

some pointers / comments on this encounter.....

1) you don't need 9 healers. 8 should be sufficient... we've done it with 7 even.
2) you need to work out a good interrupt rotation amongst those that can interrupt. you don't want to waste cooldowns with everyone interrupted the dark mending only to have the channeler shadowvolley every time. generally we'll have like 1 rogue/war on shadow volley, 1 rogue/war on mending, mages/shamans just interrupt when possible.
3) add control will be your biggest problem... straight off, i can tell you add control becomes much easier if your dps is higher. the faster you kill channelers, the less time you have to worry about adds.
4) make sure your warriors know to throw a sunder or taunt any abyssal that comes near them. since your warriors are focus heal targets, whereas no one else in the raid is, you would rather the abyssal's hit the warriors as opposed to anyone else. this gives your warlocks more time to banish/fear.
5) if your dps is slow, you may have to deal with 10 adds, whereas 3 warlocks can only control 6 adds reliably. This means you will have to figure out a way to deal with the other 4. Whether it means having a free warrior tank them, or having a string of hunters take care of them, something needs to be figured out. the easy way of course is just to bring more warlocks.
6) make sure you get your hunter to misdirect magtheridon towards your MT. it's 2 min from channeler engage to magtheridon being free, so that's exactly the cooldown on misdirect... not doing this tends to result in a priest dying if the tank can't get off sunder/hs for whatever reason.

from experience, we've never been successful unless 4 adds are dead before he comes loose. we can occasionally kill 5 before he comes loose even without flasks.

with that said, if you run with 7-8 healers, you have to be a little more organized about how your healing assignments change after every channeler dies, but the improved dps will definitely make abyssal survival easier (since you don't have to deal with them as long).

Return to “Gaming Discussion”