A Few AoC Odds and Inns (Elfdroper post too)

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

A Few AoC Odds and Inns (Elfdroper post too)

Postby Twystyd » Mon May 05, 2008 8:28 am

Here is a good link to an article about raid tanking and healing.

Heres a write up from a Kabukie (A guildy of mine) in beta -

I recently had the chance to play AOC. I was going to post a link to the beta page on file planet but it seems that the open beta has been locked =( no worries though, the game goes live on the 17th of this month (if you pre ordered it), and the 20th for the rest.

AOC is a breath of fresh air. I played WoW since release and all I can say is I am really stoked that AOC has finally come. There are 4 different character sub classes that you can choose from in AOC. I'll try and give a brief overview of them as I go along. Keep in mind that the level cap for the beta is only 13 so most of my insight is strictly solo game play.

One major difference between AOC and WOW is that AOC has good graphics...REALLY good if you are running direct X 10. They are not cartoonish by any means.

My first toon was a Conqueror which is an off tank melee DPS class that can wear heavy armor and either dual wield or use 2 handed weapons. I rolled a female cimerian due to their body tatoos, (you can customize your toon based off of the race that you choose). Once in game I couldn't resist and immediately stripped off all of her clothing...I know what you are thinking but judge not lest ye be judged, I know most of you have rolled a female NELF and did the same thing lol. To my surprise I quickly learned why this game has a mature rating.

Melee combat is way different than it is in WOW. You have to push a button in one of 3 directions to swing your weapon. As you level up you get offensive combos that require you to hit a series of keys. Combos are your real damage source and if timed correctly will proc a fatality that slices your opponents head from their body, (pretty neat as it splatters blood on your screen).

As you may have guessed, spell casting is different as well. When the game goes live you will get a stance called spell weaving that increases your damage at the cost of stamina. I have only played a necromancer and herald of xotli, (the herald is a battle mage so it doesnt really count as a caster as his spells are up close and personal). The necro was a lot of fun though and when timed right, his spells proc fatalities that summon a minion to fight by your side.

I havent had the chance to play a healing class just yet. But rest assured that I shall try one and update this write up.

From what I gathered the PVP is pretty fun. You can enter one of many different pvp mini games like capture the flag (think wsg inside of a ruined temple). There is also loads of world pvp and ultimatley guild sieges. I am really looking forward to seeing this game on a PVP server.

Loot in this game is similar to wow in that the color indicates the power of the piece. Ive had green items a plenty and a few blues. Not sure if purple is the top of the line.

I'll keep updating this as much as possible in the coming weeks until the game goes live.

Elf you were asking about who is playing what from my guild and heres the list so far -

Current List of AoC players -

Healers
    *Twystyd - Tempest
    Crabby - Priest

Tanks & Off Tanks
    *Shepp - Guardian
    *Cretin - Conqueror
    Shennanigans - Dark Templar

DPS
    Mush - Barbarian

undecided
    Sofiya
    *Nailzz
    *Kabukie
    *Toophat

* already preordered
Last edited by Twystyd on Fri May 09, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon May 05, 2008 12:07 pm

I don't know if making combat harder (by invoking series of buttons and timing) will really help any. It will just make the gap between casual and hard-core players that much wider.

Now you'll have just to run the combat bot that pushes the buttons at the correct time for you. Just like a heal bot... :huh:

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Your playing the PvP server right?

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon May 05, 2008 1:09 pm

barbos wrote:I don't know if making combat harder (by invoking series of buttons and timing) will really help any. It will just make the gap between casual and hard-core players that much wider.

Now you'll have just to run the combat bot that pushes the buttons at the correct time for you. Just like a heal bot... :huh:

Well see if AoC is as customizable as WoW was in regard to addons I guess. I welcome the change to be honest WoW is a joke of a learning curve.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon May 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Tingtong wrote:Your playing the PvP server right?

Yes sir.

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Mon May 05, 2008 3:41 pm

I've been playing over the weekend (along with Amit/Osteon, my wife Saphyre and mosthula and niko). So far I like it. The graphics are great, even on the lowest setting. Runs fine for me aside from the load times being crazy long. I really enjoy the melee combat. Hard to get a good feel for any class only being 13th level max.

I will say I'm not sold on pvp server. They haven't decided on the rule set, and one possible thing they've talked about is xp loss from pvp (not pvp xp loss, straight up xp loss.) You see grief guilds posting recruitment on the forums. Dunno, maybe I'm getting older and don't have as much time to play. All of the meaningful combat will be the same on a PvE server, and not sure I want to deal with FFA PvP anymore with my limited play time.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I think I'm gonna play when I get back June 15th. If the pvp is like mordred, I might avoid those servers though. Hopefully I can play with you guys :biggrin:
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon May 05, 2008 4:13 pm

PvP is definitely not for everyone. For a lot of people that play FFA the geopolitical atmosphere of MMOs mean more then the capture the flag mini games. Having an invested interest in protecting each other and the guild gives a sense of risk and gain you cant get AFK farming a BG for phat loots. I did a write up on another board about how insular WoW pvp is. There are no penalties, not even honor loss, so a very important psychological factor is missing.There's not much need to work with each other to further our own factions much less the political depth an FFA PvP game

Whatever your play style is we should all be happy we have a game trying to be unique though in an era of cookie cutter gaming.

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:32 pm

well if you guys play pvp, I'll definitely give it a shot. Hope I can still catch up starting late though.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)

Formally known as Nipples

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Mon May 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Like I said before FFA PvP is not competitive pvp in any way shape or form.

(Some may like the Asian PK system which is fine)

To me it promotes zergs and 14yr punks who this it's cool to PK someone 20 levels lower then them. I used to run over shadowclan with my bots on mordred nothing was competitve about it, and yet they were considered "good" along with the rest of the zerg guilds with relics and no talent.

I do think andred/mordred has left a sour taste in my mouth because the FFA PVP mechanics were so crappy but I've played extensively in lots of asian PK systems where this has become true as well.

At the end of the day it's all about what people consider fun. FFA PvP servers do offer more action of ganking someone in a short about of time. While structured Open World PvP requires planning, tactics, and moderate amount of talent.

Anyways my 2cents

Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Postby Beratuul » Tue May 06, 2008 5:27 am

Probably going to wait for Ting or some more insight on the came before I commit. Interest is high though.
Casper, Svenegal, Tassadar, Maurs, Maurier, Perigrine, Du Maurier ( I go by these names).

My shit tastes like corn.

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Tue May 06, 2008 7:36 am

That's what I want to see, what are the point of the border kingdoms. If it is like daoc's frontiers fighting for resources for each guild, I'll be fine. If it is a copy of wow battle grounds (the minigames only) then I'll try pvp server.

I have to have a reason to pvp, I don't gank, and don't want to be. If there are cities, dungeons, resources to batle over, great. If it is just to be an ass, no thanks. I get the politics, I enjoy it too. But if even on a pvp server the dungeons are going to be instanced and the cities are going to be no pvp flagged, it sounds like there is no gain and just annoyance.

If the border kingdoms are just for the 8 guilds with battle keeps, then it will suck.

Wish they would lift the NDA on closed beta folk. It is encouraging no one is really breaking the nda, other than a few comments here and there. No huge "this game sucks" blogs like most NDA breakers for a beta do.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 am

:toothy10: Good read, the beta is fun, still super buggy but the combat really is refreshing and the classes are fun.

I'll be rolling a Demonologist for sure as well as Soldier class...dunno if I like Conq/DT/Guardian more atm.

I've played almost all the classes to 10 so if anyone needs some insight on a class I may be able to give some limited insight.

I'm planning on playing FFA just because I miss real world pvp so i'll be hooking up w/ Law on the 17th. :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Tue May 06, 2008 8:09 am

Hmmm, I was hoping WAR would turn out to be the better game honestly but I will give this a shot. As time draws near and decisions are made I will see if I will pick this up. Would feel good again to play with people who know their shit and are good at it.
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue May 06, 2008 9:56 am

FFA PvP servers do offer more action of ganking someone in short about of time. While structured Open World PvP requires planning, tiactics, and moderate amount of talent.

Im not exactly sure what you mean Ting. Is that code for "I'll meet you at the bike racks after school?" All types of servers will have the same "structure" in place. It's just whether or not you want a comfort blanket leveling and walking around or not. BTW, when I told Nailzz you wanted to play a normal server he said it's time for you to hang up your keyboard because your getting too old kekeke. Hit us up on vent when you get a chance man.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”