A Few AoC Odds and Inns (Elfdroper post too)

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Wed May 07, 2008 1:35 pm

I haven't seen that, I thought they HAD to fight for it at least twice a week (I guess not if no one challenges) in the interview/blog/whatever. So there will always be what, 9 keeps with at LEAST two fights a week going on. It talked about how one is automatically set for 3 days out as soon as you take a keep, with the ability to adjust the time windows.

Also, this exact same system is on all servers, so you aren't getting anything different out of the siege battle system on a pvp server.

PvP servers in the past tend to be pansy pvp, that is, the person only attacks (understandably though) when they have the advantage. This leads to ganking or whatever. It is very rare for someone to start a fight that will be fair or close matched.

If there aren't meaningful objectives to fight over, then the fights are almost always one sided. So if the Border Kingdoms have things worth fighting over, then there tends to be fun fights (and probably all 80th level equals).

The minigames, while fun outlets sometimes, have no impact other than some rank/score whatever, and are a bone thrown to the wow battleground lovers I guess. But they have no meaning or point really.

I want daoc like objectives, but guild vs guild, not realm vs realm.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed May 07, 2008 1:40 pm

I actually enjoyed the world pvp on PVP servers in WoW before the BG's, more then the arena and mini game options. You just wont get that on a normal server, right? Just my 2 cents on preference I guess.

BTW we could have this entire conversation in more detail on my vent server in a tenth of the time if everyone wants to get a time to discuss our options. I like forums but...
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

boubou
Dickfingers

Postby boubou » Wed May 07, 2008 2:08 pm

All I hope is that the whole guild will be on the same server/side/etc

Lets not split in pieces like in wow or classic daoc.

Personally I will test my computer tonight to see if I can run this game, and if no, what will be my cost to upgrade.

Boubou

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Wed May 07, 2008 2:12 pm

I will try and download the beta as well to see how my pc handles this, may not be able to upgrade with a kid on the way :mad:
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:43 pm

i agree with Boubou. I hope we don't split up like on lamorak. I'll go where ever the group goes. I haven't played the game so I can't really say what mode I'd prefer. I will say I didn't really like playing mordred when I did it on my own. I'd give it a shot though with a strong guild. I'll be starting late so hopefully you guys are settled by then :biggrin:
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed May 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Well I can bring a good group of players. I think the 10th should tell us a lot after the beta FFA day. Keep us informed on your thoughts Candide :bigups:
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 pm

:toothy10: Ok so the open beta requires a $15 subscription to fileplanet, so keep that in mind if you want to play the beta until they open the game up.

Also this game is very very demanding. I can barely run it with 4 gigs of RAM duel core AMD 3.6 processor and a 6600 Gforce. Yea yea I know my graphics card sucks, I'm looking for a cheap 9800. :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 pm

that makes me feel better about my system. Got an e6400, 2 gig ram, 7900gt 256mb, windows xp. No clue how it will run though.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)

Formally known as Nipples

Candide

Postby Candide » Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 am

Elfdroper Gravelender wrote::toothy10: Ok so the open beta requires a $15 subscription to fileplanet, so keep that in mind if you want to play the beta until they open the game up.

2 things, one you can say "no thanks" and it offers it to you for 7$. Second, if you do that now, they take your money and then say "sorry, beta is closed". There is a small, fine print section somewhere early on that says "buying an account doesn't assure you get into beta". I opened a ticket and griped, had screenshots of everything and was going to have my credit card charge back, when they did a second round of beta keys to anyone, free accounts too, and they gave me 2 keys from that so I would shush.

Point is, I don't think you can get in anymore.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Thu May 08, 2008 8:28 am

Jeez my current rig(it's about 4 years old now) only has 2 gigs of ram and I think a either a 2 or 2.5gig processor. Guess I will have to buy a new machine to play it.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 am

I probably won't bother with the beta, I doubt my computer will have problems, if it does, then I can upgrade as needed. I just want to hear what's what, what classes are trash, what are good, and from a PvP standpoint if that's the game we are playing. I might be able to get a few people to try the game, but like I said, I'm down for whatever as long as it gets done as a community, rather than a bunch of people going wherever they want to go.

Also, personally, I enjoy playing and leveling on PvP servers as well, because it adds a variable element that's uncontrollable while you're out doing whatever you need to do. Sometimes it's annoying as shit, but sometimes it lets you have alot more fun than you would on a normal server. Now then, because the people I'm currently guilded with like PvE so they don't get ganked, I'm on a PvE server in WoW, so I'm willing to go wherever the majority go (hopefully we aren't divided on this though) just give me a server name and some character names to look for and I'll be there, if I hear good enough things soon enough, I'll preorder it this weekend and hopefully get the game on the 17th. I'm just really bored right now.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Thu May 08, 2008 9:30 am

im on a pve server to filth ><

Im sorta intrested in AoC spoke to Goaty from DW they will be checking that out.

My main concern is will it run, as previously stated everyone ive encountered has said AoC is a bitch to run. Say what you want about WoW that shit will run on any system and still be smooth :(

Case and point I blew up my main rig and played wow on a dell D800 just fine for a few weeks.
[glow=blue]
A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject
and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Candide

Postby Candide » Thu May 08, 2008 9:41 am

Well I'm sick and bored at work, so here are my class break downs. I'll mention the ones I've played vs the ones I've just read about.

KEEP IN MIND...the cap is only 13 out of 80. It is impossible to tell what is what at that level in pvp, so pick a class that has the concept you like to play, not which one wtfpwn'ed at 13th or 20th level. Case in point is the assassin dominates pvp at 13 due to the way they get their combo ranks, but just reading this morning people are saying at 80 they actually struggle some, especially against soldiers with their better armor and hps.

Also, like any new games, classes will be balanced a lot in release, so what rules today may be average tomorrow.

As you probably know, 4 main class types, 3 in each type. Soldiers (tanks), priests, mages and rogues.

Soldiers:
Guardian - straight up typical tank. I've played this to 13 and enjoyed it. Did well in pvp. Lower damage but most hitpoints. Only class to get full plate in the game. Also can use a pole arm. The polearms right now actually do less damage than a 1h/shield, but have longer reach and some handy combos out of it. You will probably switch back and forth midfight as needed. They have more reactive combo's so seem to need more attention, which I like. Probably what I'll go at launch.

Dark Templar - think a shadowknight. 2nd best tank, heavy armor. Can't use 2h weapons. Lots of life tap type abilities. At 13, I didn't enjoy this one as much, but still don't have a lot of class defining abilities. Has something called sadism points, I really don't know what they do yet, sounds sorta like a rogue combo points in wow? Several group buffs/auras as well.

Conqueror - can't use shields. Can dualwield or 2h weapons. Highest dps of soldiers. probably an off tank in pve, has several auras for group buffs that seem melee centric. Think a sturdier barbarian. Seems to be a popular class, I only played to 6 or 7, so no real insight.

Rogues: All 3 are stealth classes.
Assassin - Plays exactly like the name implies, high single target dps, good stealth attacks. grossly over powered at 13th due to having very high rank skills (your skills improve with higher versions as you level, assassin and barbs get them WAY earlier than anyone else). Also have a poison stance at 13 to add to the OP. cloth wearer, so poor defense. Will have to focus on soft targets at higher level hopefully. Think nightshade/infiltrator of daoc. Haven't played to 13 yet.

Barbarian - light armor, can 2h or dual wield. Reminds me of shadowblade in daoc. A little more survivability than the assassin, but a little less dps (still a ton). Combo's more aoe oriented. By far this was the easiest class for me to get to 13. Very high DPS due to the rank 5 combos (no other class I have played has higher than 1 or 2 rank 2 attacks).

Ranger - med armor, bow and dual wield. These were nerfed heavily a few weeks ago. Played to 10, enjoyed it. Has a crosshair aiming option so you don't have to tab target. Still pretty easy to level. Will get to 13 before saturday.

Mages:
Herald of Xiotli - by far the most unique class to me. Cloth wearer that uses a 2h sword and turns into an alien demon thing for mega burst damage with the sword. But...you are a melee cloth wearer. Their combo's hit HARD, but take a few to go off, so you can be interrupted. Really not sure about this one, it was kind of fun to 13, but when you aren't in demon form (25 seconds every 2 mins, feats increase this) the squishy factor was big.

Necromancer - played to 7, hated it. I hate DoT classes. Pets don't tank in this game, you send your pets in, YOU get agro. You do have a 2min cool down ability to make 1 pet tank. You end up with 6 (or 8?) pet points at 80. different pets take different points, so you could have 6 1pt pets, or 2 3pts, or whatever. Maybe higher level ones tank? Not a class for me, but several do like it in game.

Demonologist - this is your straight up DD nuker. Fire and Lightning spells. Up to 7 on this (current class playing), and I enjoy it. I have 2 big hit spells, a fire and lightning one, a quick cast fire spell, and a cone based aoe fire breath attack. They get a pet, but he is more support oriented. This is the prototypical mage class.

Priests:
Priest of Mitra - Lowest DPS, best heals, very much a group support class. But, they are fun. Julie has one to 13, and it was very easy to do. The dps is pretty strong on the nuke, but a bit slow casting. A pretty popular class. They will have a wide range of CC at higher levels.

Tempest of Set - one of the more overpowered classes right now. Weaker heals, but higher DPS. lightning spells and CC's early on make them strong, and I got to 13 easy and kills in pvp were easy, of course I don't solo and stuck with the group. Their heals get better the more damage they do, at later levels.

Bear Shaman - the melee priest. 2h weapons, more sturdy than other priests, heals in the middle. Good group buffs. I haven't played this yet. They don't seem real popular. Problem is going to be all heals are either aoe group, or cone based. No targeted heals. Position while melee'ing in a group will be important to get heals off. Should be a solid class though.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Thu May 08, 2008 9:55 am

Hmm don't know if we should stealth it up again Chris :P

As usual either a caster or stealther for me. Would prefer a caster as they are more welcomed in groups than stealths.

The fact that Necro pets don't tank seems broken to me, it's foolish if this is intended. Hopefully it will get changed.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 am

I wouldn't mind a barbarian or a conqueror. Assassins are nice, but once you get relegated to the stealth game (assuming there is one, and that these assassins are like the DAoC counterparts taht never got groups) eventually you get bored once everyone starts running around with 5 other people ;p
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”