PvP Mechanics

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Sirion
Ass Jammer

PvP Mechanics

Postby Sirion » Tue May 13, 2008 8:14 am

How does the AoE work in AoC? I've been reading forums, and it's looking like you can kill your team mates via friendly fire. Is that how it works for everyone, or can you not harm people in your own guild/group/alliance or whatever?

For example, if we are holding a BK, and say a guild like Ravenous (just as an example since they are coming from DAoC also) is helping us defend, are my Conquerors AoE attacks going to be able to harm Ceregon's HoX (same guild) or some one from Ravenous' character (not in our guild, but on our side of the engagement as far as teams are concerned)?
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue May 13, 2008 8:51 am

:toothy10: Hmm well in beta if you were in a group fighting another group that had guildies in it the guildies could die. I'm not sure if it differs for alliances...I would assume that if your in the same alliance then groups would not be able to hit each other, but i'm guessing.

If you can damage alliance guild then it would make for a lot of good teamwork while defending. I.E. all BWC would be defending this part of a keep while all our ally guilds are defending over here, out of our deadly wrath. :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 am

Well, if FF is possible, then it could make for some interesting tactics as far as even interguild grouping is concerned.

I just read a post (from a former KoS member in DAoC ironically) that said:

"In AoC, outside the BKs, I can see a small, balanced and competent force killing 2-3x their number. Mostly because of the AE immunity for your group, and the other groups getting in each other's way with friendly fire. AE is huge in this game.

In BK battles, friendly fire won't happen. But AE will still be very powerfull because of the sheer # of targets."

I was just wondering if that was accurate. It might actually be viable to make AoE groups that flank high numbers of players, but don't get to close to each other to FF themselves. I just wasn't sure how it worked inside of your own guild
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Tue May 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Two things:

Your group is immune to your AoE's.

BattleKeep battles, your entire team is considered one group (including mercenaries if you hire them).

Open world PvP though, two groups not raided together or whatever, yes they could hurt each other.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue May 13, 2008 4:21 pm

even if they are in the same guild, correct?
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Tue May 13, 2008 4:29 pm

yes, in OB, guildies not grouped could kill each other.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:44 pm

there is collision detection in this game though right? So AE won't be as bad if people can't stack up on each other.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Return to “Gaming Discussion”