Star Wars MMO Launch date

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am

bah, misquote ;(
Last edited by Sirion on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:26 am

barbos wrote:I'm fairly /ignore about this game

After listening to everyone bitch about war... I can't bother with listening to people get hyped up for the same shit with a new game from the same company.

rawr
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:38 pm

My two cents as I always respect Barbos and Sirions opinions and actualy believe it's prudent to wait 2-3 months to see if a game will have any lasting life. They are both good friends of mine I have gamed with for a long time now. All that being said I am not sure anyone should ever be hyped about a game they have never played. If you have fallen into that irrational trap it's solely on you. Most of us were bored with War in beta and went as far as telling everyone about the lack of polish and innovation before release. As we get older it's going to be tougher to have that same gaming afterglow we had when we were younger. I see the game as a multi player KOTOR and a short term distraction.

Some of us are extremely competitive, perhaps overly so and of course we will have some conversations to get loosely organized. I would not confuse that with overwhelming excitement or being a homer, just acts of preparation. I personally don't like to waste my time on unbalanced classes but I have friends that can care less. No one is bothering with running a guild or any of the shit this community has tried to worry about with earlier large MMO releases. The only things anyone should actually concern themselves with are can you afford the game and do you have the time to play. How enjoyable a completely different game was a half decade ago is a poor metric of reason IMO.

KGB, Nailzz and I are playing BF3 even though the disconnects are highly annoying. Skyrim comes up in a week and between the two I should be entertained until release. ATM, I know Zera, Ting, Nailzz, KGB, Eirene are the BWCers playing together. Tings always has a crew and Kims and my neighbor is also giving it a run.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Honestly I wasn't very hyped for the game until I played it. I always have high hopes but , like a lot of long time players am skeptical of new games after so many bad releases.

Initially i thought they were going to release to early and we would have bugs galore like WAR, but that was in September and after playing beta IMO they should have a pretty smooth release.

It's all up in the air still but either way I will get my money's worth out of it.
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Twystyd wrote: The only things anyone should actually concern themselves with are can you afford the game and do you have the time to play. How enjoyable a completely different game was a half decade ago is a poor metric of reason IMO.

Truth, assuming the same interest for previous games is similarly applicable here (personally, sci-fi fantasy isn't my preference).

My personal hesitation comes into play when considering the potential waste of finances as a result of jumping into a game too quickly. So many issues arise outside of the beta that a beta can't do a justifiable job of testing; things like avenues of endgame interest, high level class balance, and high level faction/role imbalances for things such as pvp cannot be adequately tested in the course of a beta unless the beta is going on for months without wipes and is literally testing every single avenue of play experience at all levels of play.

The unfortunate fact of the matter, however, is that, for me, the most interesting part of a new MMO is being among the first to crack into the game and to rush to end content. This makes it fundamentally difficult for me to try to games, because if I don't find myself intrigued by the overarching story or the contextual setting, then I lose pretty much all motivation to ever play the game. I'll get burned on games like AoC, Aion, or WAR because I'm a sucker for the fantasy genre and a sucker for games that like to claim they are based on pvp.

I think I'm just getting a bit wiser at understanding that most of the promises are illusions of greener grass, when the greenest grass we will ever witness will be in the nostalgic memories of games gone by. Except in the case of Diablo 3; there isn't anything green about dead bodies and gore all over the place, and I'm damn glad for that.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:31 am

GW 2 > *

That is all.

Bitches.

I pre-ordered SW:TOR. I got into one of the open beta weekends and amazingly enough the game is more complete than most previous MMO that were in their beta phase (AoC, WAR, etc.) As much as I hate PVE the personal story portion of the game is very well done and intriguing. From a PvP perspective I did the Warfronts that were available to me which were Hutt Ball and the Death Star. In my opinion both were gimmicky. I can't speak for open world because I didn't get that far in the 3 days I had to play the game. Will it be a great pve game, I'm sure it will as most of the MMO filth that is released these days are but will it be the second coming of DAOC? Hell no, that's what GW2 is for!

I've been following GW2 for a LONG time and the game is OWPvP first and everything else second. With that said GW2 will have amazing pve for the pve'ers and even more amazing pvp for the pvp'ers. For anything GW2 you need to go here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/ It's the main non official website that has all of the GW2 coverage.

Since BWC hasn't really gamed together in a years I really hope we call come back together for GW2. I'm tired of playing with ass monkeys who think they are pro pvp'ers but get rocked by a 7 year old who still wears a bib. Am I hyped for GW2? Yes because of all the videos I've seen it's an amazing well rounded game that will reward pvper's for their hard work instead of being the red headed ginger kids that previous MMO's make pvper's out to be. Chris, you will need to stop writing your thesis or what ever the fuck you're writing and tell Scott to put the liquor down and game the fuck up!

Miss all you fags, in a no homo kind of way :P
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:03 pm

I've actually been following GW2 for a while as well. Scott and I both game along with Trevor, Jim, and Sean and all of the old Bleeding Hollow Resonance crew, we just still dick around with WoW because nothing else that's come out has given us a real incentive to leave.

Why leave a PvE game for a PvE game? We will all be playing d3, and I might be looking at GW2 once it gets closer to its release. I won''t know with any certainty about it until I get into the beta though. ><
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 pm

One of my WoW regrets was how fragmented we all became and in the future I'm hoping we can get people interested on the same servers.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Well, I can pretty much guarantee that if I decide to play a new game, I can convince Scott and Sean to play it, with Sean being more of a certainty than Scott. He has a weakness for new games, I think he likes the feeling of not knowing anything about anything like I do - one of the driving forces of new games.

If GW2 can promote good world pvp then its a possibility, even if the game is only two factions. I thought I read that world pvp in GW2 was based on a three faction dynamic, which has infinitely more potential than a 2 faction system, but it has been so long since I did any serious research into the subject that I'm no longer certain.

As for SWTOR, Sean may try it because our friend Jimmy will probably be trying it. I can't stipulate that he will maintain any amount of attention to it for prolonged periods, because even though we are getting older we are still at least attempting to pretend like we still game in a somewhat hardcore fashion. Personally, I would love to get into a game that makes me relearn pvp the way we learned it in DAoC, because the PvE grind in WoW, even heroic raiding, has left me feeling like a worse player than I was when I first started out. Far less intuitive play and far more reliance on rotations and theories etc. AoC could have been that game if it wasn't riddled with so many shitty bugs ;(
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm

That's awesome Sirion. I know the people I played with really enjoyed the AoC group we had. Specifically you guys and Zera. A few weeks back Nailzz was even asking how you guys were doing.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 am

I miss playing with everyone from WAR, EVil dead crew and what not. Funny but it's really hard to find anyone to roll with who isn't a over anxious toadblower.

I don't miss playing with Zeratul though because he was my arch rival Squig hearder against my Engineer Gunman. Always plinking me off mountains and shizz lolz...ahh zerg serfing.

SW looks like tits i don't care what anyone says.

Zera I read something about GW2 with 3way server battles or the like? What's that about?

-Bruce Lee

Elfdroper - Merlin

Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Elfdroper Gravelender wrote:I miss playing with everyone from WAR, EVil dead crew and what not. Funny but it's really hard to find anyone to roll with who isn't a over anxious toadblower.

I don't miss playing with Zeratul though because he was my arch rival Squig hearder against my Engineer Gunman. Always plinking me off mountains and shizz lolz...ahh zerg serfing.

Zera I read something about GW2 with 3way server battles or the like? What's that about?

Those were good times bro, good times!

Basically WvWvW works like how open world worked in DAOC except it's server vs server vs server. For a more in-depth look at it you can start here http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/05/04/g ... four-maps/ and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VKhrCDWfg for more info on WvW pvp in GW2. Basically it's open world pvp done the right fucking way.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 am

Zeratulx wrote:
Elfdroper Gravelender wrote:I miss playing with everyone from WAR, EVil dead crew and what not. Funny but it's really hard to find anyone to roll with who isn't a over anxious toadblower.

Those were good times bro, good times!

Basically WvWvW works like how open world worked in DAOC except it's server vs server vs server. For a more in-depth look at it you can start here http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/05/04/g ... four-maps/ and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VKhrCDWfg for more info on WvW pvp in GW2. Basically it's open world pvp done the right fucking way.

I only briefly read the article and didn't get a chance to watch the video, I'll peruse both a bit more completely today after work, and before I get to my research. I thought I read something about the SvSvS fights being resource based, which leads me to believe that they may work in the spirit of TB or Wintergrasp from WoW, which has a huge potential to disappoint me. I mean, the fact that there are four zones in what could constitute a 'battleground' leaves me with hope for sure, as does the fact that its server v server v server, which means that perhaps we may see a game wherein 'realm pride' returns to the fore. I recall that DAoC's battlegrounds, while still not as compelling for me as the frontiers, were fairly well structured and interesting.

I think that the primary reason for that however, was the fact that they were always static, and they could always change hands. There was not a set time that you had to be in them, there wasn't a specific amount of people that could go to them, and you could always attempt to retake them anytime you had the people around to do so. I hope that this world pvp, if it is the primary mode of pvp combat, takes place within zones that are dynamic in terms of where the fighting is happening at any given point, but that are static in regards to the fact that they can always be entered and that they are constantly in contestation.

If it looks good, and the controls play more fluidly than GW1 did in beta (that's the only experience I had of GW1), then I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up, and I'm pretty sure I can bring at least a few people with me. I guess I'll have to start reading up on the game again.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the insight guys. WvWvW pvp definately has potential. What I really like about GW2 is that there is no subscription, so i will most likely play it in one form or the other.

Speaking about static open world pvp, here is a Swtor link on Illum.....nevermind their site is down...will look for that link later. It basically talks about the open world zones to be similar to WAR in that there are 2 main bases with smaller objectives throughtout the zone that are used to capture the main bases. O and it's always ongoing, one of the things i think WAR fucked up with bigtime, no timer resets or whatnot.

-Bruce Lee

Elfdroper - Merlin

Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 am

Some guys who I know from DAOC who I played Aion with started a guild in SW:TOR. These guys put pvp above all so that will be the focus of the guild. I'll keep you guys posted on what becomes of this.

P.S. 8 visitors to the boards today, most activity in years :P

P.S.S The guild name is Check Your Tears. These are guys I know from DAOC/WAR/Aion who have been together since DAOC and are looking to setup a chapter in SW:TOR, anyone interested reach me here or on Facebook.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”